In Eye for the Light’s first workshop the winner of TPOTY’s MPB Video category will teach you how to use your stills camera to make a short film, Instagram reel or video to promote your photography.
This one day Eye for the Light workshop will give you the essential knowledge and insights to help you achieve this with your stills camera. The highlights of the workshop are listed below. All the basics from choosing and set up a camera, additional equipment, adding sound and learning camera movement. You will learn how to plan, storyboard and shoot footage for a short film, instagram reel or promotional video.
This workshop is supported by MPB and this has allowed us to offer the workshop at a reduced cost. ‘MPB is the largest global platform to buy, sell and trade used photo and video gear. https://www.mpb.com/en-uk
Participants will have the opportunity to borrow a camera for the day and try it out during this workshop.
- Why shoot video – the purpose of the shoot
- Planning your video – developing a storyboard and why it’s important
- What equipment to use – camera dictates max fps/HD/4k etc.
- Borrow a camera for the day from MPB for hands on practical advice
- Settings for shooting video – practical session with cameras
- Equipment choices for stabilisation – using a tripod/gimbal etc.
- Framing and camera movements
- Recording audio – issues and equipment
- Test shoot – shooting sequences for a short film, Instagram reel or promotional video
After lunch you will accompany Matthew as he shoots some footage to put together short film or Instagram reel, before returning to the venue to learn about how to edit and put the video together.
- Getting files organised on the computer
- Software options
- Cutting the footage together using Davinci Resolve (free version)
- Using music, where to get it from and editing on the beat
A camera for video – try used video gear from MPB
Do you want to try a camera and learn how to set it up to shoot video? MPB will loan you equipment for the workshop so you can try different video gear. And if you’re thinking of changing your set up, this is an opportunity to take one for a test drive. Once you’ve booked, we’ll contact you to find out what used video kit you would like to borrow from MPB.
Where is the workshop?
Daly’s Wine Bar, 210 The Strand, London, WC2R 1AP
How many places?
What does it cost?
£49… but if you’re a registered read of Eye for the Light you’ll receive an additional 10% discount.
Thanks to MPB we have kept the cost of this workshop as low as possible.
BOOK NOW – places are limited
For more information and to book, visit the TPOTY website
See more of Matthew Williams-Ellis photography and video work on his website